Position: Center / Left Wing

Born: June 2, 1965

Birthplace: Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Height: 6'5"  Weight: 210 lbs. 

Shoots: Left

Drafted by: Buffalo Sabres, 1st Round, 11th
     Overall, 1983 NHL Entry Draft

Seasons with Buffalo: 1983-84 - 1988-89

Uniform Numbers: 15, 34, 38

Games Played:
Penalty Minutes:

Adam Creighton
Sabre Totals
Nobody was really surprised when Adam Creighton decided to pursue a hockey career.  After all, it was in his blood.  Creighton, a native of Burlington, Ontario, was the son of Dave Creighton, a former NHL player who spent time with the Boston Bruins, Toronto Maple Leafs, Chicago Black Hawks and New York Rangers over the course of a 20 year professional career.  The elder Creighton even spent one season playing in Buffalo, as a member of the AHL Bisons in 1961-62.  Dave Creighton was not the only hockey influence in the family.  His twin brother Fred played professionally in the 1950's and 60's, and was a two time Coach of the Year in the Central Hockey League in the 1970's and 80's.

At 16, Creighton joined the Ottawa 67's of the Ontario Hockey League.  In his second season with the 67's, Creighton caught the attention of NHL scouts by scoring 44 goals and 46 assists in 68 games played.  Creighton finished the 1982-83 season second on the team in goals scored and fourth in total points.
                                              Creighton's performance during the 1982-83 season made him one of the top prospects in the 1983 NHL Entry Draft.  Coming into that year's draft, the Buffalo Sabres, for the second consecutive year, owned three first round picks.  GM Scotty Bowman used his first pick to claim goaltender Tom Barrasso.  His second pick, the 10th overall selection, was used to take winger Normand Lacombe.  Bowman's third pick, 11th overall, which was acquired in the trade which sent Andre Savard, Tony McKegney and J.F. Sauve to Quebec for Real Cloutier in June of 1983, was used to select Creighton. 
The Class of 1983.  From left to right: Tom Barrasso, John Tucker, Scotty Bowman, Normand Lacombe and Creighton.
Following the Sabres' 1983 training camp, Creighton was returned to his junior team, where he began his third season in the OHL.  When injuries hit the Sabres lineup midway through the season, Creighton was recalled to Buffalo.  Creighton scored his first NHL point in his NHL debut, December 17, 1983 when he assisted on the game-winning goal in the Sabres' 4-1 victory in Hartford.  During his 7 game stint in Buffalo, Creighton scored 2 goals and added another assist.

Creighton was reassigned to Ottawa in January, 1994, where he finished the remainder of the season with the 67's.
In 60 games in Ottawa during the 1983-84 season, Creighton had 42 goals and 49 assists, topping his point totals from his draft year by one, while playing eight fewer games.  In the Memorial Cup Tournament, Creighton led the 67's in scoring with 18 goals and 39 assists in 21 Tournament games as the team went on to win it's first ever Memorial Cup Championship.  At the end of the tournament, Creighton was awarded the Stafford Smythe Memorial Trophy as Tournament M.V.P.
Creighton's play in the Sabres' 1984 training camp and pre-season won him a roster spot for the beginning of the 1984-85 season.  Creighton saw action in 30 games for the Sabres, scoring only 2 goals and 8 assists.  

Mid-way through the season, the Sabres loaned Creighton to Team Canada for the 1985 World Junior Championship Tournament.  Creighton excelled in the tournament, scoring 8 goals and 12 assists in 7 games as Canada won the Championship.  Creighton scored a hat-trick in Canada's 7-5 victory over the United States in the tournament.  When Creighton returned from the World Junior Championship, he was shipped back to his junior club in Ottawa, where he could play more regularly then he would in Buffalo. 

Near the end of the season, Creighton was recalled and assigned to the Rochester Americans for his first stint in the American Hockey League.  Creighton finished the season with the Amerks, where he scored 5 goals in 6 games.  He remained with Rochester through the 1985 Calder Cup Playoffs.

Creighton split the 1985-86 season between Rochester and Buffalo, playing 32 games in the AHL and 20 in the NHL.  Creighton continued his disapointing offensive performance from the 1984-85 season in Buffalo, scoring only 1 goal and 1 assist in his 20 NHL appearances.  His Rochester stats were more
promising, as he totaled 17 goals and 21 assists in his 32 AHL games. 

The 1986-87 season marked Creighton's first full NHL season.  As the season began, it looked as if he had picked up where he left off the previous season, in and out of the lineup, playing sparingly, and not very well when he did break into the lineup.  That changed in December, 1986, when Scotty Bowman was fired.  Creighton blossomed under new coach
Ted Sator, playing a regular shift and coming to life offensively.  He finished the season with 18 goals and 22 assists, the best offensive season of his career to that point. 
Creighton started the 1987-88 season strong, scoring 23 points in his first 31 games. On December 22, 1987, he injured his shoulder during a game in Boston.  He was out of the lineup for more than a month.  He returned in early February, only to suffer a knee injury just before the All-Star break.  The knee injury ended Creighton's season, and kept him out of action through the Playoffs.  He finished the season with 10 goals and 27 assists in just 36 games played. 

Coming into the 1988-89 season, the Sabres were over-stocked at center.  Having added
Pierre Turgeon and Benoit Hogue during the 1987-88 campaign, and rookie Jeff Parker during the 1988 training camp, Creighton was moved to left wing, where he played throughout the first half of the season.  Creighton had a tough time adjusting to the new position, and his play declined because of it.  Though he showed signs of the potential which made him a first round selection, scoring a hat-trick against the New York Rangers on November 2, 1988, his play was inconsistent at best.  In 24 games with Buffalo during the 1988-89 season, Creighton scored just 7 goals and 10 assists.  In late December, a trade was worked out between the Sabres and Chicago Blackhawks which would send Creighton to the Windy City for veteran winger Rick Vaive.  Though the details were worked out before Christmas, the trade wasn't made official until December 26, 1988, so the players could spend the holiday with their families.
The trade proved to be beneficial for Creighton.  In Chicago, he was moved back to his familiar center position, and given more ice time than he had been in Buffalo.  He responded with 15 goals in 43 games as a Blackhawk in 1988-89.  Creighton remained with the Blackhawks for the next two full seasons.  In 1989-90, Creighton played in a then career-high 80 games, and notched career highs in goals with 34, assists with 36 and total points with 70.  Creighton made his first NHL Playoff appearances with Chicago, going to the Stanley Cup Finals with the Blackhawks in 1990.  Creighton began the 1991-92 season with Chicago, but was traded early in the season to the New York Islanders.  Creighton finished the 1991-92 season with the Islanders. 

In 1992, Creighton was selected by the expansion Tampa Bay Lightning in the Waiver Draft.  Creighton played two seasons as a member of the Lightning, finishing third on the team in goals and fifth in total points in 1992-93. 

In October, 1994, the Lightning traded Creighton to the St. Louis Blues.  In the strike-shortened 1995 season, Creighton finished third on the Blues in goals with 14.  He was fifth on the team in points.  Inconsistency struck again in the 1995-96 season, and Creighton managed only 11 goals in 61 games. 

A free agent at the end of the 1995-96 season, Creighton signed on for a second tour of duty with the Chicago Blackhawks.  Creighton spilt the season between the Blackhawks and their International Hockey League affiliate, the Indianapolis Ice.  He played only 19 games with Chicago during the 1996-97 season, his last in the NHL.

In 1997, Creighton moved to Europe, where he played parts of two seasons with the Augsburg Panthers of the German Elite League.  At the end of the 1998-99 season, Adam Creighton retired from professional hockey.